The clothing industry is one of the most polluting and wasteful sectors in the world and non toxic clothing does not seem be a priority. It relies heavily on synthetic fabrics that are made from fossil fuels and treated with harmful chemicals. These fabrics have negative impacts on both the environment and human health, as they release microplastics, greenhouse gases, and toxic substances into the air, water, and soil. One of the most concerning chemicals used in clothing production is PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, which are linked to cancer, liver damage, decreased fertility, and immune system disorders¹.
PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a class of human-made chemicals that are widely used in clothing and other products to make them water- and stain-resistant. However, these chemicals are also known as “forever chemicals” because they do not break down easily in the environment or in our bodies. Exposure to PFAS can have harmful effects on our health, such as increasing the risk of cancer, thyroid problems, high cholesterol, low birth weight, and immune system disorders. PFAS can enter our bodies through the skin, the air, or the water, and they can accumulate over time. Therefore, wearing clothing that contains PFAS may pose a serious threat to our health and well-being¹²³.
A Healthier Choice
Fortunately, there are alternatives to synthetic fabrics that are more sustainable and healthier for both the planet and the people. Natural fabrics, such as organic cotton, bamboo, tencel lyocell, and merino wool, are made from renewable and biodegradable resources that do not require harmful pesticides, fertilizers, or dyes. These fabrics have many benefits, such as being breathable, moisture-wicking, durable, and comfortable. They also have lower environmental footprints, as they use less water, energy, and land than synthetic fabrics²³.
What goes on our bodies is just as important as what goes in our bodies
By choosing natural fabrics over synthetic ones, you can make a positive difference for the environment and your own well-being. Natural fabrics are not only good for the planet, but also for our health, as they reduce our exposure to harmful chemicals and microplastics that can accumulate in our bodies and cause various diseases. Non toxic clothing is the way to go for a more sustainable and healthy future.
(1) CBC News: PFAS in clothing: Is what you wear dripping in “forever chemicals ….
(2) CBC.CA: ‘Forever chemicals’ found in Canadians’ blood samples: report.
(3) CBC News: Experts warn of high levels of chemicals in clothes by some fast ….
(4) PFAS ‘Forever Chemicals’ Found in Outerwear and Clothing Sold Globally ….
– ATSDR – Potential health effects of PFAS chemicals | ATSDR.
– ATSDR – Understanding PFAS Exposure and Your Body.
– Harvard Health risks of widely used chemicals may be underestimated.
– Web MD PFAS: What to Know About ‘Forever Chemical’ – WebMD.
– The Guardian How your clothes are poisoning our oceans and food supply | Environment ….
– The Benefits of Choosing Natural Fiber Fabrics for Your Wardrobe – MSN.
– ATSDR – PFAS and Your Health. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/.
– United States Environmental Protection Agency – Research on Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS).